- If Gearheads Got To Pick The Next Transportation Secretary
- America needs a new Transportation Secretary now that Ray LaHood is gone. Jalopnik readers have selected ten candidates perfect for the job.Read more...
- Why Fast And Furious 6 Will Be My Favorite Movie Of 2013
- The Fast and the Furious films are the ultimate guilty pleasure for any moviegoer that doesn't have to bring a tissue to their theater. They aren't realistic and they aren't ever that good, but they're a dependably fun watch with tons of action, great cars, and terrible cars that are great within the context of the ever-expanding universe of the film.Read more...
- 1941 Studebaker Champion: The Jalopnik Classic Review
- Remember the car you had at 16? I remember mine. A Wrigley's-gum beige 1968 VW Beetle I saved up $600 to buy when I was 15, then waited and stared at every day until I turned 16 and could actually drive it. Of course, it was wrecked within a year or so, because that's what usually happens to cars owned by 16 year old idiots.Read more...
- Why Are Japanese School Buses So Much Better Than Our School Buses?
- Remember going to school as a little kid? Specifically, think about that moment in the morning, waiting outside in the cold, barely awake and wondering if you actually did your math homework or just dreamed you did. Now picture seeing the school bus come lumbering down the street to collect you. What's the feeling in your gut?Read more...
- You Can Thank Two Hungarians For The Ford Model T And Much More
- Last Sunday was the 132th birthday of József Galamb, the Hungarian engineer who became the chief designer of the first mass produced car in the world, the Ford Model T. My mom sent a message that I should write about him, but I told her I was sure everybody knew his story already.Read more...
- This Corvette With A Honda Four-Banger Is Sadly Not Real
- This idea is so perverse I can't help but love it. It's a picture of what appears to be a nicely-polished Honda 1.8L B18 engine nestled in the engine bay of a Z06 Corvette. Now, to Corvette purists, this is the equivalent of getting a heart transplant from a mole — an abomination that also is just too feeble to actually even work.Read more...
- The Ten Biggest Car Jump Fails Caught On Camera
- Cars were born to fly, but jumps can easily go wrong. Jalopnik readers have put together the ten most painful, spine-crunching failed jump attempts in modern automotive history.Read more...
- Nazis Used This Volkswagen To Cross Lakes And Rivers
- Have you ever wanted an amphibious vehicle? Get in line, buddy! Luckily, this Volkswagen Type 166 Schwimmwagen is for sale in Connecticut — well, if you happen to have an extra $185,000 laying around.Read more...
- 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS: The Jalopnik Review
- An incredibly long time ago, the entry-level Boxster was the best selling car in Porsche's entire lineup. The problem was that the wee little roadster wasn't generating the profits that Porsche needed to lay the groundwork for a successful future.Read more...
- The Ten Most Obnoxious Names For Car Options
- Marketing lingo in the car world is absurd. Jalopnik readers know ten instances where even the simple act of naming an option on a car got out of hand.Read more...
- BMW Designs A 42-Wheel, 19-Engine Car To Fulfill One Child's Fantasy
- BMW is one of those companies that gets respect and guff in big, heaping piles around here. They certainly make plenty of spectacular, iconic cars, from the 2002 to E30s to the 507 to even the little Isetta. They also sometimes seem to generate a following of arrogant, parking-line-ignorers. Two sides of the big BMW coin.Read more...
- How To Survive A Run In The Indy 500
- Stories are told about how drivers change when the helmet goes on, the visor slams shut and the engines roar to life. Some say the "nice guy" demeanor is replaced by a wild, savage creature desperate for success, no matter the consequences.Read more...
- Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe Pebble Beach Special Edition
- At this year’s Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in Carmel, California which marked its 60th anniversary, Rolls-Royce introduced a bespoke Phantom Drophead Coupe that was unveiled by CEO Torsten Müller-Ötvös and Chief Designer Ian Cameron.
Sold within minutes, the new car is painted in a one-off Bespoke exterior colour called Stillwater Blue as a tribute [...]
- 2011 Renault Latitude introduced at the Moscow Motor Show
- Renault has big plans for the Russian market. the 2011 Renault Latitude was introduced at the Moscow International Motor Show.
The French manufacturer will also launch several new models to the Russian market such as Duster, the new automatic Logan, Sandero and Sandero Stepway as well as Fluence sedan and Megane hatchback. The Latitude [...]
- 2010 Moscow Motor Show: 2011 Vw Polo Sedan unveiled
- The new 2011 Volkswagen Polo saloon has just been unveiled at the 2010 Moscow Motor Show. VW said that the Polo saloon, which will be made at VW’s factory in Kaluga, Russia, was developed specifically for the Russian market, with consideration for its specific climate and street conditions.
The reason why small saloons are [...]
- Toyota and GM recalling over 1.3 million vehicles for engine stalling
- Toyota and General Motors, announced today that they will recall 1.3 million vehicles from the 2005-2008 model years due to complaints of engine stalling.
Toyota will recall 1.1 million Corolla and Corolla Matrix vehicles after more than 1,000 complaints were received, while GM will recall 200,000 Pontiac Vibes, including 162,000 in the United States. For those [...]
- Geely posted a forecast-beating 35% rise in first half earnings
- For the first half of the year, Geely Automobile Holdings exceeded forecasts and posted a 35% increase in earnings in China.
However, sales of Geely (whose parent purchased Ford’s Volvo unit this month) are expected to slow as its competitors gain ground in China, the world’s largest auto market. As Beijing offered incentives starting last year [...]
- Great Wall Motor plans to start overseas expansion
- Within the next three years, China’s Great Wall Motor Co. will begin to assemble vehicles from kits in Europe, Africa, the Philippines, South America and Malaysia. In late September, vehicle assembly is slated to begin in Senegal.
The Philippines will follow later this year. A company spokesman confirmed that operations will begin at plants in Bulgaria, [...]
- Sales of medium- and heavy-duty trucks rose 10 percent in July
- For the seventh straight month, sales of medium- and heavy-duty trucks have increased. In July, 21,493 units were sold, a 10% increase.
This streak is remarkable because before this sales rebound, there had been three years of declines. Sales of Class 8 trucks increased by 28% to 9,589 units; however, there were sharp divisions by brand [...]
- Sonic to begin a test of no-haggle pricing at finance and insurance
- On Sept. 1, Sonic Automotive Inc. will start a test of no-haggle pricing at finance and insurance offices in two markets: Columbus, Ohio, and northern Virginia.
Sonic, the nation’s third-largest dealership group, said that this pilot is part of its attempts to make shopping faster and easier for customers, according to Jeff Dyke, Sonic’s executive vice [...]
- Bosch to expand Chinese plant
- Robert Bosch GmbH’s expansion of its existing plant and the construction of a new technical center in an economic development zone in the central China city of Changsha will be completed in mid-2012.
Bosch’s investment for this project amounts to 240 million yuan ($354 million). According to the deal with the zone administration, Bosch will lease [...]
- Paris Preview: 2011 Lotus Evora S and Evora IPS (Intelligent Precision Shift)
- After we saw the leaked e-mail, Lotus unveiled today the Evora S and Evora IPS (Intelligent Precision Shift) option. As expected, the Evora S is more powerful and now the 3.5-liter V6 engine delivers 350 PS (standard version delivers 280 PS) and 400 Nm of torque (295 lb ft).
The Evora S can sprint [...]
- Tata Motors planning to raise as much as $1 billion from selling securities
- Sources confirmed today that Tata Motors a.k.a. the owner of Jaguar and Land Rover, hired Credit Suisse Group AG and Citigroup Inc. in order to raise as much as a $1 billion from selling securities.
Apparently Tata may tap capital markets in the next month and may consider options including a private placement, shares with differential [...]
- 2010 Nissan Frontier recalled in the United States
- Because of failure to meet the requirements of child restraint anchorage systems (federal motor vehicle safety standard no. 225), Nissan is issuing a service campaign in the US and is calling back 951 Frontier vehicles.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said that the affected vehicles include those produced from June 10, 2010 through June [...]
- Marquez all smiles as he leads on Day 1
- Friday may have marked the first time Marc Marquez had taken to the infamous Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on MotoGP™ machinery, but the Repsol Honda Team rider demonstrated great confidence as he topped the timesheets.
- Lack of grip the issue for Crutchlow
- Cal Crutchlow finished fifth as practice came to a close at Laguna Seca on Friday afternoon. After the Englishman set the pace in the morning, he struggled for adhesion and ended the day four tenths of a second off the leading pace.
- Dovizioso inside the top three on Friday
- Andrea Dovizioso was pleased to have posted a lap time quick enough for the top three as free practice action commenced for the Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix.
- Marquez raises the bar at Laguna Seca
- Marc Marquez may have learned the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca only a day earlier, but on Saturday morning very much threw down the gauntlet for his MotoGP™ rivals. The Repsol Honda Team rider lowered the best lap time to 1’21.568, leading the way from Yamaha Factory Racing’s Valentino Rossi and LCR Honda MotoGP’s Stefan Bradl.
- Bradl’s first MotoGP™ pole at Laguna Seca
- Germany’s Stefan Bradl has achieved a first ever MotoGP™ pole position for the Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix. The LCR Honda MotoGP rider will start alongside Repsol Honda Team’s Marc Marquez and GO&FUN Honda Gresini’s Alvaro Bautista. Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa have qualified sixth and seventh, respectively.
- Marquez fully confident despite late crash
- Marc Marquez will start his first Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix from second position on the grid. The Repsol Honda Team rider and championship leader topped three of the four practice sessions at Laguna Seca but was caught out and crashed towards the end of Q2.
- Bautista thrilled with first front row of 2013
- Alvaro Bautista will start third on the grid for Sunday’s Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix, marking his first front row position since clinching pole at Silverstone last year.
- Bradl celebrates historic pole in California
- Following qualifying for the Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix, Stefan Bradl is celebrating the fact that he is the first ever German pole-sitter in the premier class of MotoGP™.
- Crutchlow believes tyre problem caused crash
- Cal Crutchlow was left baffled following a crash during final practice for the Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix. On his second bike, the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 rider went on to qualify fifth, which is his lowest qualifying result of the season so far.
- Andrea Antonelli suffers fatal crash in FIM World Supersport race
- FIM World Supersport rider Andrea Antonelli has succumbed to his injuries after suffering a crash at the Moscow Raceway on Sunday.
- Pole-sitter Bradl tops morning Warm-Up
- Stefan Bradl, prior to starting on his maiden pole position in the MotoGP™ class, has topped Sunday’s Warm-Up session at Laguna Seca. The LCR Honda MotoGP rider led fellow front row starter Marc Marquez, while Alvaro Bautista crashed at Turn 5.
- Marquez wins Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix
- Marc Marquez has won Sunday’s Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix at the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, becoming the youngest ever back-to-back race winner in MotoGP™. The Repsol Honda Team rider extended his championship lead while LCR Honda MotoGP’s Stefan Bradl celebrated a first premier class podium finish from pole position. Valentino Rossi held off Alvaro Bautista for the final rostrum spot.
- 2013 Audi RS5 Review - Video
- The lone Audi RS model without a turbocharger, it might just be the best, and for that exact reason.
- 2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 Wagon Review
- Refreshed for 2014, the E-Class makes for a handsome wagon, delivering space for the family and a connection to the road for the driver.
- 2013 Honda CR-Z Review
- In a world now bursting with eco-minded hatchbacks and sporty hot hatches, the CR-Z emerges somewhere in-between as an odd alternative.
- 2013 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design Review - Video
- Safety, speed and stunning looks highlight this Swedish sport-sedan, which isn't far from the sweet spot in a segment dominated by German rivals.
- 2013 Ford C-Max vs. 2013 Toyota Prius v Comparison Test
- Niche products, which of these two hybrids combines the best features, fuel economy, price and practicality for your family.
- 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Review - Video
- With a dramatic new look and big fuel economy claims, is the MKZ Hybrid a new era luxury car, or just a warmed-over Ford Fusion?
- 2013 Honda Pilot Review - Video
- The Honda Pilot earned its wings a number of years ago when it was redesigned for the 2009 model year. It's been cleared for takeoff ever since, but is this large crossover aging gracefully or has it reached mandatory retirement age?
- 2014 Nissan Versa Note Review - Video
- After delivering a lukewarm Versa sedan, Nissan pulls out all the stops (or maybe just some of them) in an attempt to create a competitive hatchback for 2014. Can the Versa Note be spacious, refined and efficient, and still a great value?
- 2013 Jaguar XF 3.0 AWD Review - Video
- Does doing away with the base V8 do Jaguar's mid-size justice?
- 2015 Audi A3 Sedan Review
- Small is good these days, and Audi's attempt at the compact sedan market is just down the road. Is the new A3 a worthy luxury saloon or just another crappy compact?
- 2014 Audi R8 V10 Plus Review - Video
- Meeting and even exceeding expectations when it comes to both style and performance, the R8 V10 Plus is both incredibly refined and surprisingly violent.
- 2013 Volkswagen CC R-Line Review
- Volkswagen's range-topping sedan makes style a top priority... and it works.
- MO Goes Ice Racing! - Video
- Two of Motorcycle.com's finest scribes traveled north to Wisconsin in the middle of winter to do a little ice racing on a Yamaha YZ450F. Read on to see how these California boys fared in the world of spiked tires.
- Knowing How to Brake Saves (the most) Lives
- With braking, the use it or lose it principle definitely applies, and skills can become rusty if not proactively attended to.
- 2013 Daytona Bike Week Report
- After a long offseason, bikers everywhere were more than ready to kickstart the 2013 rally season and headed out in droves to Daytona Bike Week.
- 2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale R Review - Video
- The Ducati Panigale R takes all the best parts of the sensational 1199 S and adds titanium connecting rods, a lightened flywheel and an adjustable swingarm pivot to create the most capable Ducati sportbike ever seen.
- The Truth about Drinking and Riding
- While no one will publicly declare alcohol consumption and motorcycling are OK, there remain definite problems in a culture offering mixed messages.
- 2013 Honda CBR600RR - First Ride Street Impression
- While not a new model, the 2013 Honda CBR600RR is slightly improved for slightly less money. Compared to a few of its competitors, it's missing some of the current technological catch phrases like TC and Ride Modes.
- Trail Bike Riding in Ontario
- Trail bike riding in Ontario seems to be a closely guarded secret even though the province has more trails available to off-road motorcycles than some European countries and most US states.
- 2013 Aprilia Caponord 1200 Review
- Aprilia's contribution to the do-it-all touring segment is finally here. The new Caponord 1200 revives an old name and is endowed with a slew of electronic gadgets and riding aids.
- Ten Questions with Five-Time Dakar Champ Cyril Despres
- We caught up with five-time Dakar champion Cyril Despres at Dealer Expo and asked him a few questions about this year's Dakar.
- Riding in the Rain and Wind
- Depending on your experience, skill, preparation and risk tolerance, riding a motorcycle in the rain can be anything from frightening to fun.
- Suzuki GSX-R History
- We take a look back at nearly three decades of GSX-R, highlighting some important milestones along the way. Thanks largely to the 1985 GSX-R750, today's sportbikes are often considered "racebikes with lights."
- Battle of the Motorcycle Expos
- The Dealernews International Powersports Dealer Expo in Indianapolis saw attendance drop significantly this year. Could that have something to do with the upcoming International Motorcycle Expo in Orlando?
- PSA’s Financing Unit Set To Win EU Approval For State Aid By Next Week
- A $9.25 billion (€7B) loan guarantee from the French national government for the Banque PSA Finance arm of PSA/Peugeot-Citroen, Europe’s second largest car company, will likely gain approval from European Union regulators next week, according to sources cited by Reuters and Bloomberg. The guarantee is aimed at ensuring the carmaker’s viability by allowing it to [...]
- Chrysler Changes Product Plans Again, Extends “Sell-By Date” Of Avenger, Caravan, Wrangler
- Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne may not be fond of changing up his outfits, but he certainly has no problem mixing up product plans. The latest news out of Auburn Hills suggests that Chrysler will be extending the lifespan of some key products for up to another 5 years. Under the new regime, the Dodge Avenger, [...]
- Junkyard Find: 1993 Honda Del Sol
- As the owner of a much-loved 1992 Honda Civic (unfortunately, I’m not the only one who loves fifth-gen Civic hatchbacks), I know how hard it is to find parts for my V8-hauling hooptie at my local self-serve wrecking yard. The 1992-95 Civic has become to the 2010s what the ’57 Chevy was in the 1970s: [...]
- Dacia Gets A New Duster For Its 9th Birthday, As The Low-Cost Boom Continues
- Nearly 9 years ago, a small car from an obscure, nearly-defunct Romanian brand was launched with little fanfare. The Dacia Logan was – and still is – a basic vehicle designed to be sold for very little money and provide honest, basic transportation for emerging markets. Few would have predicted that in nearly a decade [...]
- BMW i3 Revealed
- These are said to be some of the first production photos of the BMW i3 electric vehicle. In the USA, the i3 will start at $42,275. Pricing for the optional range extender hasn’t been announced, but in Europe, the option is expected to retail for an additional 4,000 euro.
- Gremlin Of The Forest: Another Kenny Stork Adventure
- The used baby-shit green AMC Gremlin arrived in the Stork’s driveway about the time their long lived 1967 Chrysler Newport made its last tip out of the driveway and into its final resting place in the forested acreage behind the house. The oil shock had meant a lot of changes, but Wayne had been willing [...]
- Nissan Profits Buoyed By Strong U.S. Sales, Weaker Yen
- Buoyed by stronger U.S. sales driven in part by cheaper prices allowed by the weaker yen, Nissan reported a quarterly profit of ¥82.02 ($818.9 million), beating estimates by about $50 million, up ~$100 million from last year’s quarter (In Nissan’s fiscal year, the second quarter). After the company cut the retail price of seven [...]
- GM Q2 Profits: $1.2 Billion, Down Due To New Pickup Launch Costs
- General Motors said that costs associated with the launch of their redesigned pickup trucks and weaker results in Asia (except for China) lowered net income for the second fiscal quarter of 2013 by 19% from last year, to $1.2 billion. Overall revenue was up 4% to just over 39 billion dollars. Income before taxes, [...]
- Are Midsize Coupes Dead and Buried?
- Well, folks, I’m sure you’ve heard the news: Nissan is cancelling the Altima Coupe. This, I believe, will affect many of us. You, for instance, might read my opening line and think: I MUST GET ONE BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE. If that’s the case, I strongly suggest visiting a Nissan dealer before supplies dry up, [...]
- Aston Martin & AMG Announce Technical Partnership, Daimler to Buy Up to 5% Stake in AM
- As part of an announced technical partnership between AMG, the performance subsidiary of Mercedes-Benz and Britain’s Aston Martin, Daimler will buy up to a 5% interest in the luxury performance car maker. The agreement will give AM “significant access” to the technical resources of both AMG and its parent. Aston Martin will use those resources [...]
- French Court Backs Mercedes-Benz in R1234yf/R134a Dispute with EU
- After a French court lifted that country’s ban on Mercedes-Benz cars equipped with R134a air conditioning refrigerant, saying that the French ministry for the environment must reevaluate their decision to block those cars, Daimler said that it was “very confident’ that the French government will abide by that court ruling. R134a has been banned for [...]
- Legally Brunette: Alabama Getaway (From Quotas)
- Please welcome my friend “Curvy McLegalbriefs” to TTAC; she’s contributed various background items and photos in the past but this is her first article from scratch for us. Miss McLegalbriefs has been a working attorney for some time now and also has a singing voice that is equal in range to mine but, rather embarrassingly [...]
- Button: Balance changed with the tyres
- Jenson Button reckons a lack of balance cost him during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix...
- Vettel: There wasn't much missing
- Sebastian Vettel says he's confident about Sunday's Hungarian GP despite being pipped to pole position by Lewis Hamilton...
- Qualy: Hamilton Secures Hungarian Pole
- Lewis Hamilton put any concerns about the heat to one side to claim his 30th career pole position and his fourth at the Hungarian GP...
- Hamilton 'surprised' by Hungarian pole
- Lewis Hamilton was "really surprised" after a tough qualifying session on Saturday netted his fourth pole position in Hungary...
- 'Stupid, embarrassing, a pain'
- Mark Webber has called Red Bull car troubles "stupid" and "embarrassing" after another KERS failure hampered his efforts in qualifying in Hungary...
- Saturday's FIA Press Conference
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes), Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull Racing) and Romain Grosjean (Lotus) faced the media in Budapest...
- No Friday runs for Sirotkin
- Monisha Kaltenborn has ruled out running Sergey Sirotkin in this year's Friday practices despite potentially putting him in the car next season...
- Grosjean retains his P3
- Romain Grosjean will start Sunday's Hungarian GP third on the grid despite his E21 failing a floor test...
- Alonso wants Vettel at Turn 1
- Determined to take points off Seb Vettel, Fernando Alonso reckons he'll have his first opportunity to get ahead of the German at Turn 1...
- Kimi: We could've challenged for the win
- Kimi Raikkonen was happy to finish ahead of Seb Vettel, but he feels he could've challenged for the win if he didn't mess things up in qualy...
- Vettel 'wanted more' in Hungary
- Sebastian Vettel concedes it was not his best Sunday afternoon in Hungary despite yet again extending his lead in the Championship race...
- Sun: McLaren, Williams, Sauber, STR
- There were points in Hungary for both McLaren drivers while Pastor Maldonado finally netted Williams' first of the Championship...
- UK specialist looking to give TVR Tuscan a second life as Chevy-powered Titan
- Filed under: Classics, Coupe, Performance, GM, UK, Specialty
Classic World Racing TVR Titan - Click above for high-res image gallery
Might the quintessential British muscle car soon be blessed with the quintessential American muscle car powerplant? If UK-based racing specialist Classic World Racing gets its way, the answer is yes. The car is the TVR Tuscan - and we're talking about the beautiful 1968 version, for what it's worth - and the engine is none other than General Motors' undeniably excellent LS3 V8.
CWR has somehow managed to obtain the original molds for the old TVR Tuscan that had been sitting unused for decades in an old barn, after which the company built a race car using the molds for a client in Malaysia. Shortly thereafter, demand for a roadgoing version was deemed strong enough to make the necessary modifications to make it street legal. In this new form, CWR chose to call the machine the Titan.
Power figures for the Yankee-sourced 5.7-liter V8 engine start at 480 horsepower and go from there, and those ponies will be sent to a limited-slip differential at the rear wheels through a five-speed manual transmission. Couple that prodigious output with a weight of just 2,160 pounds (980 kilograms) and you've got a recipe for formidable performance. Price? Around £42,500 (plus VAT) in the UK - that's about $65,500 dollars. Check out our high-res image gallery below and read the press release after the break.
Gallery: Classic World Racing TVR Titan
[Source: Classic World Racing via Piston Heads]Continue reading UK specialist looking to give TVR Tuscan a second life as Chevy-powered TitanUK specialist looking to give TVR Tuscan a second life as Chevy-powered Titan originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Permalink | Email this | Comments
- Video: Audi R8 Spyder gets lead role in Iron Man 2
- Filed under: Convertible, Performance, Videos, Audi, Celebrities, Luxury
Audi R8 Spyder in Iron Man 2 - Click above to watch video after the jump
We're officially counting down the days until Iron Man 2 hits theaters on May 7. The sequel to one of our favorite superhero flicks is set to boast a serious cast, including performances by Don Cheadle and Micky Rourke. Speaking of those two, the actors will be bringing two of the best characters from the Iron Man universe to life - War Machine and Whiplash. Oh yes. It will be good.
Of course, one of the best parts of watching Robert Downey Jr. play the part of spoiled playboy Tony Stark is drooling over the guy's bachelor pad/garage. We would give unmentionable portions of our anatomy to have our very own holographic drafting table and pint-sized manufacturing facility stashed downstairs. You can go ahead and throw in the flathead '32 roadster while you're at it.
Audi has once again teamed up with Marvel for Iron Man 2. A new ad from the company shows off the R8 Spyder as one of Stark's main rides, which makes sense considering the car was spotted on the set not too long ago. As if we needed another reason to be jealous. Hit the jump to see the spot for yourself.
Gallery: Audi R8 5.2 FSI Spyder
[Source: Audi via YouTube]Continue reading Video: Audi R8 Spyder gets lead role in Iron Man 2Video: Audi R8 Spyder gets lead role in Iron Man 2 originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 17:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Permalink | Email this | Comments
- iPhone 4.0 software hints at automotive integration, new dock
- Filed under: Technology
Our Apple-obsessed brethren at TUAW have been probing the company's new iPhone 4.0 software and, with the help of a trusted tipster, came across what could be a new automotive-related feature buried within the update.
The new software will apparently allow a "iPod out" functionality, which could be integrated into vehicles utilizing the iPod Accessory Protocol. While that's nothing new, the software tweaks have the potential to allow users to control music and other content through the iPhone (or by relation, the iPod Touch or iPad), turning the device into a separate remote control of sorts.
If that's the case, there's a distinct possibility that Apple - or third party accessory manufacturers - could develop a car kit complete with a dock, buttons and custom menus. The video after the jump provides a snooze-worthy tease of the functionality, and if this software sleuthing is to be believed, we might see some kind of Apple-branded car kit released by year's end.
[Source: TUAW]Continue reading iPhone 4.0 software hints at automotive integration, new dockiPhone 4.0 software hints at automotive integration, new dock originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 17:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Permalink | Email this | Comments
- Pics Aplenty: Audi RS5 officially unloaded to the Internet
- Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Europe, Audi, Luxury
2011 Audi RS5 - Click above for high-res image gallery
Good news, Quattroheads: Audi has just unloaded a boatload of new images of the RS5 coupe in red, white and blue doing its thing all over some beautiful roads in Europe. We feel the need to point out where these shots were snapped simply because the German automaker has not yet announced any plans to bring its ubercoupe Stateside. And we therefore shed a tear.
Then again, maybe there's hope after all - we have heard rumors that Audi was at least considering blessing us Americans with the RS5... though nothing substantiated by any other reliable sources. In any case, it's always a good time to gaze upon 4.2 wonderful liters of naturally aspirated goodness with 450 horsepower and 317 pound-feet of torque sent to all four wheels, right? Right. So go ahead and click through the high-res image gallery below.
Gallery: 2011 Audi RS5
[Source: Audi]Pics Aplenty: Audi RS5 officially unloaded to the Internet originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 17:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Permalink | Email this | Comments
- Report: Toyota Prius minivan coming in 2011
- Filed under: Hybrid, Minivan/Van, Toyota
Toyota Hybrid X Concept - Click above for high-res image gallery
We've been hearing the rumors for over a year, and it's now looking increasingly likely that Toyota is getting ready to launch a new hybrid minivan that will wear the Prius nameplate. If true, this would be the first completely new vehicle added to the Prius stable, where it would join the well-known hatchback sometime in 2011.
According to Reuters (which is citing the Japanese Nikkei), this new Prius hybrid minivan may be the first such vehicle from Toyota equipped with an in-house developed lithium ion battery pack. The three-row vehicle, which we can only presume would also have sliding doors, would potentially seat up to seven people, expanding Toyota's hybrid technology further into the family-use market.
No other details are available other than the notion that Toyota would like to keep the price close to that of standard minivans currently on the market. Stay tuned for more as we hear it.
Gallery: Geneva Motor Show: Toyota Hybrid-X concept
[Source: Reuters via The Truth About Cars]Report: Toyota Prius minivan coming in 2011 originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 18:20:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments
- Video: Pagani Zonda R commerical is pure pr0n
- Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Marketing/Advertising, Videos
Pagani Zonda R promo - Click above to watch video after the jump
The Pagani Zonda R comes down to three words: More. Track. Focused. Yet, what good would it to do merely imagine that focus? We'll have none of that. What we will have is rather dramatic high-res video of one, and then two, Zonda Rs on track in the rain, making roostertails as they slide their own tails. In fact, no more talking about it - follow the jump to watch to watch the twelve-cylinder wet dream in action.
Gallery: Pagani Zonda R
[Source: Runimation Studios]Continue reading Video: Pagani Zonda R commerical is pure pr0nVideo: Pagani Zonda R commerical is pure pr0n originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 18:40:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments
- SMS Supercars pulls the wraps off 2011 302 Mustang
- Filed under: Aftermarket, Coupe, Performance, Ford
2011 SMS 302 Mustang - Click above for high-res image gallery
It's been nearly a year since SMS Supercars first showed us a rendering of their proposed 460 Mustang. And we had nearly given up hope that it would ever come out. But sure enough, Steve Saleen and the rest of his crew have been hard at work developing the new SMS Mustang. That car, now named the 302 Mustang due to the V8's displacement change for 2011, was officially unveiled today at the company's headquarters in Corona, CA.
Two separate versions of the 302 Mustang will be offered, including a naturally aspirated base 4V model and a supercharged 302SC Mustang. The 4V will produce 440 horsepower thanks to a few powertrain tweaks, while the supercharged model will boast 535 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque.
Both Mustangs will have a slew of standard features including the new SMS body kit, hood with heat-extracting grilles, 20-inch wheels and tires, upgraded suspension and brakes, and numerous interior appointments including Alcantara seats, 200 mph gauges, short-throw shifter and more. The styling appears to be a mix of the previous generation Saleen Mustang, also penned by SMS designer Phil Frank, along with the new design language featured on the SMS 570 Challenger. We especially like the elongated rear end that helps hide the awkward taillights, although we would probably do away with the massive spoiler.
As you'd expect from a Steve Saleen product, each model will offer impressive performance figures. SMS quotes a 0-60 mph time of under 4.5 seconds for the base 302 Mustang while the supercharged version can perform the same task in just 4.3 seconds. A higher performance model is also in the works, named the 351X Mustang, which we should learn more about in just a few months.
Pricing for both models is just about what we would expect, which is fairly expensive. The 302 4V starts at $54,990 while the 302SC Mustang will cost $64,990. Follow the jump for more details on both cars or browse through both of the live galleries below.
Gallery: 2011 SMS 302 Mustang
Gallery: 2011 SMS 302 Mustang Unveiling
Photos by Drew Phillips / Copyright (C)2010 Weblogs, Inc.Continue reading SMS Supercars pulls the wraps off 2011 302 MustangSMS Supercars pulls the wraps off 2011 302 Mustang originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 18:55:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Permalink | Email this | Comments
- Daily U-Turn: What you missed on 4.16.10
- Long-Term Update: Touring our Subaru Legacy 2.5GT's birthplace
We take a tour of Subaru's Indiana production center to see where our new bouncing burgundy baby comes from.
BMW sets price on new 5-er; says no price too high for independence
BMW sets the pricing on the all-new 5 Series and confirms its new city car project, while U.S. marketing and product head Jack Pitney offers up his thoughts on the competition's recent partnerships and BMW's new tag-line.
Ford Gets An Earful: Five best and worst ideas from consumers
Ford asked, you answered and we've rounded up the five best and worst ideas to come into the suggestion box.
Also of interest:
Top Gear takes blame for Icelandic volcano eruption
Reuters: Unified Toyota lawsuits set in motion by judge
Video: KBB gets down, dirty and airborn with the Ford Raptor
Video: Sébastien Buemi unhurt in crazy Shanghai F1 GP practice crash
IndyCar switches up qualifying payouts for more exciting 500 pole shootout
Browse our archive of Daily U-Turn posts or subscribe to the RSS feed
Daily U-Turn: What you missed on 4.16.10 originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 19:20:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Permalink | Email this | Comments
- 2011 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2010 BMW M3: Tie Game? [w/poll]
- Filed under: Coupe, Budget, Performance, BMW, Ford, Luxury
Ford Mustang GT and BMW M3 - Click above for high-res image gallery
Alright, fan boys (and girls), prepare for battle. The ever keen-eyed Sam Smith over at Jalopnik has spied an interesting phenomenon in the car universe. The new 2011 Ford Mustang GT performance figures are within spitting distance of the mighty 2010 BMW M3. The Bavarian bruiser produces 414 horsepower out of its milky-smooth 4.0-liter V8 and hits the scales at 3,652 lbs. Meanwhile, the 5.0-liter Mustang serves up two less horsepower, but weighs 40 pounds less, too.
At this point, odds are your blood is pumping no matter which side of the ring you happen to find yourself on. Stats that close yield frighteningly similar numbers when the two cars hit the track, too. The M3 can clip off the 0-60 dash in 4.3 seconds. The Mustang can do it in 4.4. Quarter mile? Deadlocked at 12.7 seconds at 111.3 mph.
It's true, a quarter mile doth not a sports car make, which is why these next figures are so important. While the M3 can come down from 60 mph in 105 feet, the Mustang can do the same in 104. And here's the real shocker: Both cars hold onto the skidpad at .97 g. Now, before the comments go superfly TNT, it's worth noting that the as-tested BMW will set you back an eye-widening $28,180 more than the Ford. We could think of a thing or two to do with an extra 30-large.
So the question remains, which would you take home?
Gallery: First Drive: 2011 Ford Mustang GT
Gallery: Review: 2008 BMW M3
[Source: Jalopnik]2011 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2010 BMW M3: Tie Game? [w/poll] originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 19:24:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Permalink | Email this | Comments
- Volkswagen and Stanford: Parking Cars Without People [w/video]
- Filed under: Technology, Videos, Audi, Volkswagen
Volkswagen and Stanford's Autonomous Vehicle Program - Click above for high-res image gallery
Yesterday at Stanford University, the world's valets were put on notice. The crew at Volkswagen's Vehicle Innovation Lab (VAIL) hosted an event for German Chancellor Angela Merkel, where the diplomat from Deutschland got to see first-hand what VW has been working on for the past five years, and what kind of practical implementations are around the corner.
The VAIL team was the first group to complete the DARPA Grand Challenge with a fully autonomous Touareg that scaled over 130 miles of the Mojave Desert in 2005. The original self-driven vehicle, Stanley, has evolved into Stanley 2, a Passat wagon with enough computing power to completely fill the boot. That vehicle took second place at an urban course for the 2007 DARPA Challenge and now that technology has been scaled down, refined and put into another diesel-powered Passat to show off one of the many uses for the autonomous tech.
After Merkel caught a plane home and the crowds subsided, we scored a ride in the self-propelled Passat and discovered that the days of parking attendants are officially numbered.
Gallery: Volkswagen and Stanford's Autonomous Vehicle Program
Photos by Damon Lavrinc / Copyright (C)2010 Weblogs, Inc.Continue reading Volkswagen and Stanford: Parking Cars Without People [w/video]Volkswagen and Stanford: Parking Cars Without People [w/video] originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 19:56:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Permalink | Email this | Comments
- Jody Scheckter launches Lormarins 1200 with £10m in classics
- Filed under: Motorsports, Classics, Jaguar, UK, Celebrities
Lormarins 1200 launch in London - Click above for image gallery
If you're into classic cars and vintage rallies, you know the Mille Miglia, but you likely haven't heard of the Lormarins 1200. Not yet, at least, because it was just announced and has yet to take place. Unlike the Mille Miglia, upon which it's modeled, the Lormarins 1200 is a new event and not a revival. The inaugural running is scheduled for October in South Africa's Western Cape wine region, and to announce it, organizers brought out the big guns.
Former F1 world champion Jody Scheckter took the wheel of a 1952 Jaguar C-Type and lead a £10 million convoy of classics through London's Mayfair district. South Africa's ambassador in London, Dr. Zola Skweiyiya, rode shotgun. They were joined by a 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C Monza and a 1957 Ferrari 250 GT Tour de France - one of only seven ever made. But that's nothing compared to the 40 to 50 cars expected to take part in the full rally. In the meantime, you can check out the details in the press release after the jump and the photos in the gallery below.
Gallery: Lormarins 1200 launch in London
[Source: Lormarins 1200]Continue reading Jody Scheckter launches Lormarins 1200 with £10m in classicsJody Scheckter launches Lormarins 1200 with £10m in classics originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 17 Apr 2010 09:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Permalink | Email this | Comments
- Next-gen Hyundai Accent caught totally undisguised
- Filed under: Spy Photos, Budget, Sedan, Hyundai
2011 Hyundai Accent spy shots - Click above for high-res image gallery
Looks like we were spot on in our assessment of what we happened to catch out testing near Disneyland in California. As we suspected, the car in question is the next-generation Hyundai Accent, a fact you can clearly discern by comparing our spy shots and an earlier Korean "naked" shot with the two images in our gallery below from auto.ifeng.com.
As you can see, the next-gen Accent takes on a mini-Sonata look, with a heavily-rounded, arcing greenhouse, a prominent chrome-topped grille, and deeply-sculpted sheetmetal everywhere in between. Note also the absolutely massive headlights situated above squared-off fog lamps.
Still second-guessing what you may be gazing at? Take a closer look at the decklid. From what we can tell, the badge on the right reads Verna - that's the Accent's moniker in some foreign markets (including South Korea). See for yourself in our image gallery below. Thanks for the tip, Rudy!
Gallery: 2011 Hyundai Accent Spy Shots
[Source: auto.ifeng.com via GenCoupe Forums]Next-gen Hyundai Accent caught totally undisguised originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 17 Apr 2010 11:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Permalink | Email this | Comments
- R3E - Monza Previews
- Simbin have released some previews of the Monza track, which will be available for its latest R3E - RaceRoom Racing Experience title.
Furthermore, two brand new cars will be added - the Pagani Zonda R and the Radical SR9. Previews of all this upcoming content can be found on our R3E screenshots page.
Don't forget to visit our R3E - RaceRoom Racing Experience game profile for much more on this title, and you can also keep up to date by following us on Twitter.
- Project CARS: Build 462 Released
- Slightly Mad Studios have released build 462 of Project CARS, which makes various changes and improvements to the game as well as adding an early build of the Mercedes 2012 SLS AMG GT3 car.
As well as the build updates, SMS have released the latest batch of almost 100 impressive new community screenshots - make sure you check them out.
A full list of build updates can be found below - you'll need to download via the WMD Portal, and don't forget to visit our Project CARS game profile for much more information and content on this game.Build 462 (3/5/13, Junior Member+)
* Added protection to player flag check in MP session (Fixes MP issues)
* Moved engine sounds on/off out of the car sounds on/off so that engine, turbo, transmission and exhaust sounds toggle along with the metric for the engine being started/stopped, so sounds now work in line with the physics engine changes
* Fixed a race start issue where the exhaust sounds could bypass that and play. Also reset the car state fully on a restart to make sure the engine on/off state change was picked up properly
* Mitsubishi Lancer: All exterior mapped&textured, new lights setup, some mesh updates, combined all glass materials, user flags checked/fixed etc
Build 461 (3/5/13, Junior Member+)
* Ignition and engine start updates
* Fix for testing whether to Auto Start Engine before reading the Driver Aid settings
* Changed Auto Start to be 1 for Elite handling modes, should be 1 for all modes now
* Tweaked thresholds for IsEngineRunning metric
* Padded BDbgString when not used to keep consistent size for use by loaded classes such BHashString on all platforms/configs, including 64 bit
* Added static asserts to check expected sizes of BHashStrings and other basics types
* Various updates to change crt string calls to Base abstracts including new BStrtok
* Physics: Added overloads to pass in dest length for use with BStrtok abstracts
* NetServices: Fixed a compile warning
* Fix HRDF 64-bit type sizes and relocations
* Added BStrtok abstracts
* Added function register for heat haze toggle
* Fix for not fetching valid RaceModeInfo for multiplayer
* Fixed incorrect script logic causing number of laps to always be 1
* Planar Reflections resolution is now linked to the envmap settings
* Added optional scaling of envmap based on specular texture alpha (as used on basic.fx) to basic_windows.fx
* Added gear wobble engine modulation
* ReplaySaveLoad: Resurrected some old debug code to aid in finding invalid track/vehicle IDs
* Replay: Added error then continue on an attempt to stop recording to an uninitialised sample buffer
* cPhysicsReplay: Clear activated flag on Cleanup()
* Enable RacingFlags to be displayed
* Add display to 2d map
* Add RacingFlagSettings.hrdf which contains parameters to alter flag behaviour
* Add warning message to TextDB.btdb
* Define RACEAPPCORE_RACING_FLAGS_ENABLED for Aries
* Hookup gui code to display flag warnings
* Enable conditional compilation of RacingFlags
* Only display HUD warning when player is inside a flag section
* Only run flag detection on host in multiplayer games
* WIP Fog/Scattering Shader
* Fixed PS3 shader compiler error in vehicles_basic_translucent.fx
* Bathurst: Added leaves particle fx in some areas
* Mercedes SLS AMG: Applied WIP suspension geometry from the GT3 version until we get full reference
* Ford Mustang Boss 302R: More performance balancing and applying data from Ford Racing
* BMW M3 GT4: Reduced aero drag
* Mercedes SLS GT3: Applied real numbers to gearbox
* Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X: Normals/textures updated
- Project CARS Interview at VVV Gamer
- The team over at VVV have posted an interview with Andy Tudor, who is the creative direct for Project CARS.
The interview is well worth a read over at VVV.Both NFS Shift games were criticised by the simulation racing community for poor car handling and controls. What have you changed in the approach to CARS to improve in these areas?
So with the Shift titles we were obviously moving iteratively towards a more 'sim' style title. Shift 1 was the introduction of circuit racing to the previously illegal action/arcade titles from previous years. Shift 2 then introduced the 'Superman versions' of road cars with GT3, GT1 and other forms of real motorsport with Drift, Drag, Time Attack, and Endurance. Each step of the way we were also adding more depth to the physics, handling, controls, options, and general realism whilst still maintaining that core experience of 'what it really feels like out on the track'.
Compared to existing sim racing titles at the time though we still had a number of steps to go in terms of audience expectation on what they believed were key differentiators between the Shift titles and what they were used to and we appreciated those and have taken them on board wholeheartedly for Project CARS.
- Simraceway: Morgan Aero & Ford GT40 Released
- Simraceway have now released the Morgan Aero Supersports and the Ford MK1 GT40 cars as purchasable downloads for the Simraceway title.
We've added screenshots of both the cars to our Simraceway game profile page - so make sure you check them out.
For more information on Simraceway - visit our Simraceway game profile, and don't forget to keep up to date by following us on Twitter.
- Project CARS: Build 469 Released
- Slightly Mad Studios have released build 469 of Project CARS, making various improvements and changes to the game as listed below.
You'll need to download via the WMD Portal.
Don't forget to visit our Project CARS game profile for much more information on the game, and you can also keep up to date by following us on Twitter.Build 469 (14/5/13, Team Member+)
* Ruf RGT-8 & Mercedes SLS: Unlocked all setup options.
* Tweaked the default tyre name search and removed compound tag search to increase tyre options
* Set default tyre index to -1
* Present tyre name rather than tags to the createTire SETA system for default tyres
* Adjusted player only slipstream effect back to 1.0 from 4.0
* Tires: improvement of speed of tagging calls, anti-LSS options
* BLiveEditManager/LiveEditTools Camera Editor updates standard gizmos in and camera object manipulation
* Collect light instances post track load and register with environment animation system. Enable environment animations for locatable instances.
* Render tasks to allow visualisation of editing cameras point of view..
* Restore switch from PostAdvanceSession to InGame state
* Fix for missing environment sounds. When RaceAppCore changes were made, an Init call had been missed out and so handles weren?t getting updated
* Updated game mode scripts, so now all game mode queries are obtained from GameSetup.
* Fixes for list scrolling in edge cases
* Patch to avoid crash on bad mFrame2
* Fix for GUIQuad::SetColour so that it uses GUIQUADFLAG_CloneHasOwnRGB and GUIQUADFLAG_CloneHasOwnAlpha instead of GUITEXTFLAG_CloneHasOwnRGB and GUITEXTFLAG_CloneHasOwnAlpha.
* Caterham SP300R: Fixed cockpit exposure value.
- Simraceway: Mazda 787 Released
- Ignite Skill Gaming have released the Madza 787 for their free-to-play [gamelink[ title.
The Mazda 787, which raced in the 1990 Le Mans 24 hours race, is available to purchase for $7.50.
We've added screenshots here, and a video of the car racing at Laguna Seca here.
Don't forget to visit our Simraceway game profile for much more on this game, and you can also keep up to date by following us on Twitter.
- Assetto Corsa: New Ferrari & Mclaren Previews
- After a short break, Kunos Simulazioni have released new previews of the Mclaren MP4-12C and Ferrari F458 GT2 cars which will feature as officially licensed vehicles in Assetto Corsa, due to be released later this year.
We've added the previews to our Assetto Corsa screenshots page, so make sure you check them out.
Much more information on this upcoming game can be found on our Assetto Corsa game profile page, and don't forget to keep up to date with all the sim-racing news follow us on Twitter.
- Assetto Corsa ? Ferrari 599XX Evo Previews
- Kunos Simulazioni have released a new batch of preview screenshots for yet another licensed Ferrari - the Ferrari 599XX Evo, featuring in their upcoming simulation Assetto Corsa.
The screenshots are as impressive as usual - and are well worth a look here.
Don't forget to visit our Assetto Corsa game profile for much more content on this game, and you can also keep up to date by following us on Twitter.
- R3E - Updated Build Released
- Simbin have released a fairly substantial update for R3E - RaceRoom Racing Experience, which makes various improvements and changes to the sim.
A full list of updates are shown below.
Don't forget to visit our R3E - RaceRoom Racing Experience game profile for much more content and information on this free-to-play title.Game & Code & Performance:
Full controller support. The cursor can be controlled in menus with analog stick on gamepads and steering wheels.
Improved & updated controller support. (Reverse replicate for steering, new hot key options).
Added additional controller options for steering sensitivity and min/max range.
Added additional controller option for gamepads; return multiplier (front wheel return/snap back to center).
Improved Analog Sector values for more accurate gamepad control.
Instant Replays in-game. Press R to instantly see a replay of the cool move you?ve done.
HUD elements can now be toggled on/off in replays.
Implemented and improved free camera logic & cam collision.
Data displays are now showing properly in replays.
Tweaked Zoom in/out functions in replays for certain cameras, disabled them for cameras where it?s not meant to be used.
Camera names will no longer show when replay controls are hidden.
Optimized Localization. Game now supports letters with accents.
Improved & updated font support.
Fixed an issue where Russian keyboard inputs were not showing the right characters despite setting the Language for Unicode programs.
Fixed various typos in menus, portal, car/track information and descriptions.
Optimized Media Hub.
Player can now have infinite amount of replay files in Media Hub.
Optimized Menu transitions.
Optimized GPU performance.
Optimized Memory usage.
Optimized CPU usage.
Improved patching system to shrink the patch file size in future updates.
Removed the launcher functionality in game as it?s no longer relevant; the game now executes faster.
Fixed pathing issues that could occur on Win 7 and 8 when the Windows or the game was not installed in the default location.
Fixed various issues that occurred when adjusting car setup and going back to the game.
Fixed issues that could occur when rewinding/navigating a replay via its progress bar.
Fixed an issue where skidding sound could trigger while wheels are rotating.
Fixed inconsistencies with car marker positions on track layouts.
Fixed an issue where wind screen of player car could start flickering after overtaking an AI car.
Fixed issues where data display and dashboard displays were inconsistent on some of the cars.
Fixed an issue where ghost files would appear corrupt.
Apex hunt progress now shows properly in the menus.
Re-enabled Legacy Mode (Game runs in Windows XP, though not fully supported).
Fixed issues that would occur if the player had multiple controllers connected.
Prepared the game for future content.
Groundwork for future features.
Fixed various individual issues that could potentially cause crashes.
Portal & Leaderboards & Competitions:
Implemented Class based Leaderboards.
Leaderboards have been changed and improved. The look and feel of the leaderboards have changed. Filters are now presented in a more user-friendly way.
Updated & Improved the in-game browser.
Players can now subscribe to specific leaderboards, which gets added as a widget to the dashboard for quick access.
Search functionality has been improved. It is now faster.
Added summary to the sidebars to provide better and more user-friendly information about the selected leaderboard.
Added galleries for store items. Players can now see different screenshots for cars/tracks.
Fixed an issue where player avatars sometimes would appear blank in the leaderboards.
Various improvements in the backend/frontend.
Art & Art Code:
Optimized motion blur and fixed various motion blur related issues on cars.
Implemented a new lighting system for better illumination.
Implemented a new car paint shader for better visuals on cars.
Implemented a new gravel/dirt shader.
Various art fixes & tweaks in Suzuka tracks.
Various art fixes & tweaks in Lakeview Hillclimb tracks.
Various art fixes & tweaks in Raceroom Hillclimb tracks.
Various art fixes & tweaks in Bathurst.
Various art fixes & tweaks in Raceroom Raceway tracks.
Various art fixes & tweaks in Hockenheimring tracks.
Various art fixes & tweaks in Monza tracks.
Various art fixes & tweaks in Zandvoort tracks.
Various art fixes & tweaks in Portimao tracks.
Various AI fixes & tweaks.
- Forza Motorsport 5 Announced
- Turn 10 Studios and Microsoft have announced Forza Motorsport 5, which will be released for the firm's brand new Xbox One console later this year. Not a great deal is known about the game as of yet, but you can expect it to continue down the arcade style of racing employed by previous titles.
Nevertheless, Turn 10 have released a number of screenshots showing the Mclaren P1, as well as an announcement trailer.
Much more details will be found on our Forza Motorsport 5 game profile as they are released, in the mean time make sure you keep up to date by following us on Twitter.
- Simraceway: Pagani Zonda R Released
- Our friends at Simraceway have released the Pagani Zonda R to the title, which is a 1000bhp+ sports car.
The car is available for Simraceway, and costs $18. We've added some release screenshots here.
Don't forget to visit our Simraceway game profile for much more information about this title, and you can also keep up to date by following us on Twitter.
- Project CARS: Build 480 Released
- Slightly Mad Studios have released build 480 of Project CARS, which alongside the usual improvements and bug fixes, introduces the first version of a classic Silverstone track, as well as updated sounds for the Pagani Zonda R.
A full list of changes are below, and you can download as usual from the WMD Portal.
Don't forget to visit our Project CARS game profile for much more on this title, and you can keep up to date by following us on Twitter.Build 480 (24/5/13, Team Member+)
* Set AI volume to zero to temp cure audio corruption issue until Stuart can trouble shoot
* Disabled motion blur for drivers materials
* Northampton Classic: Fixed nasty pop up of track/terrain part
* Northampton Classic: Added track Hud map
* Northampton Classic: Added raceline
* Northampton Classic: Added autograss and tracklights
* Pagani Zonda R: Stiffer roll bars on Ben?s feedback, tuned engine and brake heating/wear, temporary increase in tire pressure until an STM heating model is done
* Formula Gulf FG1000: Revised setup on petrolhd?s initial feedback
- Final practice - Grosjean puts Lotus on top in Hungary
- Romain Grosjean sent Lotus to the top of the timesheets in final practice in Hungary on Saturday morning.
The Frenchman's time of 1m 20.730s, set on soft tyres, was good enough to edge him ahead of the Ferrari of Fernando Alonso and the McLaren of Sergio Perez, although the Mexican ended his session in the barriers after spinning off at Turn 11
- Qualifying - Hamilton snatches Hungary pole from Vettel
- Lewis Hamilton gave Mercedes their seventh pole position of the season in Hungary on Saturday after a gripping shoot-out with Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel, team mate Nico Rosberg and Lotus's Romain Grosjean - and didn't even realise that he'd done it until he was completing his slow-down lap.
As the track temperature swung between a sweltering 47 and 49 degrees Celsius, Vettel set the initial pace
- Sergio Perez Q&A: There's light at the end of the tunnel
- McLaren have endured their fair share of unsatisfying results so far this season, but the Woking-based team have been part of Formula One racing long enough to know that success in this sport is cyclical. And even though driver Sergio Perez has not had much to cheer about at the opening nine races, the Mexican is feeling optimistic about Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix, given the MP4-28's improving form and his unusual strategy
- Grosjean escapes penalty for post-qualifying floor test failure
- Romain Grosjean has escaped penalty, despite his Lotus car failing a post-qualifying front floor deflection test on Saturday.
The Frenchman, who will now retain his third-place grid slot, could potentially have been excluded from qualifying, but after a hearing with representatives from Lotus, the stewards accepted that the test failure was a result of damage to one of the floor stays caused by Grosjean running over the kerbs at Turn 11 in Q2
- Nico Rosberg Q&A: Race will be a red-hot battle
- Nico Rosberg looked to be in the running for pole position when qualifying got underway on Saturday, but by the end of the session he could only manage fourth on the grid.
But though he starts three places behind team mate Lewis Hamilton, Rosberg told reporters that he is still confident for the race tomorrow, despite the expected sweltering conditions
- Qualifying analysis - Mercedes win will need 'a miracle'
- Saturday's perfect Budapest weather enabled teams to complete their various programmes in final practice, though Sauber lost that session changing Esteban Gutierrez's engine and McLaren had work to do afterwards repairing Sergio Perez's damaged car. Fluctuating track temperatures caused some headaches in Q1 and Q2 - when there was a 50 degrees Celsius spike - but in Q3 it was a straight fight for pole, and a tight one at that. We take a team-by-team look at the qualifying formbook
- Paddock Postcard from Budapest
- With a three-week break between the last round in Germany and this weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix, there was plenty of time for teams to arrange some extra-curricular outings for their drivers in the Budapest build-up.
Lotus's Kimi Raikkonen led the way, walking over a giant 'skate-able' sculpture, created by world-renowned artist Gerry Judah, as Rune Glifberg and a crew of other champion skateboarders swarmed around him.
- Race - Hamilton seals his first win for Mercedes in Hungary
- Lewis Hamilton produced an inspired drive in Hungary on Sunday to secure his first race victory for Mercedes.
The Briton, who had claimed it would take a miracle for him to win the race, made a smooth getaway from pole position before executing a perfect three-stop strategy to see off the challenge of Lotus's Kimi Raikkonen and Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel
- Grosjean handed 20-second post-race penalty for Button clash
- Romain Grosjean has been handed a 20-second post-race time penalty by the Hungarian Grand Prix stewards for his clash with Jenson Button during Sunday's race.
The Lotus driver collided with Button's McLaren as he overtook him into the chicane on the 25th lap. The stewards subsequently declared that they would investigate the incident after the race and, having heard from both parties, decided to give the Frenchman a time penalty
- Ferrari fined for Alonso's misuse of DRS
- Ferrari have been handed a 15,000 euro fine by the Hungarian Grand Prix stewards after Fernando Alonso was found to have misused the Drag Reduction System (DRS) during Sunday's race in Budapest.
The FIA's technical delegate Jo Bauer referred the matter to the stewards because data indicated that Alonso had activated the DRS on three occasions when he was not within one second of the car in front at the DRS detection point
- Sebastian Vettel Q&A: It was a turbulent race
- Sebastian Vettel extended his lead at the top of the drivers' championship to 43 points after finishing third in the Hungarian Grand Prix, but it might have been even better had his race run a different course.
After the race, the Red Bull driver spoke to reporters about an eventful afternoon in Budapest
- Sebastian Vettel Q&A: Qualifying strategy taken with race in mind
- It may be unusual to see perennial polesitter Sebastian Vettel back in ninth on the grid but Vettel for one isn't worried.
The Red Bull driver believes the team's decision to stay on the mediums in Q3 will pay off on race day. The young German discusses the team's qualifying gamble
- Game Stock Car 2013: Mystery Screenshot
- Reiza Studios released an interesting screenshot of their upcoming upgrade for Game Stock Car. The screenshot shows us a classic stock car on an unknown News sourced from: RaceDepartment.com
- F1 2013 in October
- Codemasters announced an October 8th release date for F1 2013, the recently announced motorsports sequel, saying it will race onto both Windows and Xbox 360 that day. They celebrate the news with... News sourced from: Blue's News
- Grand Theft Auto 5 World Map Scale Compared to GTA 4
- Some time ago, a user on Reddit showcased some blueprints for how Rockstar Games’ Grand Theft Auto 5 would look. Needless to say, the world was huge, but how did it compare to the scale of Grand Theft Auto 4′s map? Another user has compared the scale of both maps, which you can check out below. Grand Theft Auto 5′s world consists of Blaine County and Los Santos along with a vast underwater ocean to explore. GTA 4, on the other hand, consists of Liberty City. Obviously, GTA 5′s world is much bigger. Keep in mind that the blueprints leaked haven’t been officially.. News sourced from: Gamekicker.com
- F1 2013 Release Date and Trailer
- This year's title arrives this October News sourced from: GamersHell.com
- GTA 5 Looks a Lot like Max Payne 3
- Grand Theft Auto 5 releases later this year, on September 17. The game itself has been the subject of many a fan discussion and just as much speculation comes from the gaming industry. Even though the title is so near to our doorstep, information regarding the game is still scarce, especially if you're looking for real gameplay. Though Rockstar Games has detailed the game's story and its characters to some extent, we're still left to ponder why the esteemed developer has been so tight-lipped concerning - what many believe - is their biggest project to date. Some answers to.. News sourced from: Gamekicker.com
- Amazon: Various Wii U games on sale
- Amazon has numerous Wii U games on sale, including Assassin's Creed III, Need for Speed: Most Wanted U, and ZombiU - plus lots more. News sourced from: N4G.com
- Before GTA V: Top 8 Cheats We All Used
- WC - Despite how brilliant the Grand Theft Auto games are without cheating, there is no denying that they have contained some of the best cheat codes that have ever appeared in a video game. Not only are they (mostly) useful, but they also enhance the experience by providing the gamer with a whole new perspective. Not to mention countless more hours of fun, of course. News sourced from: N4G.com
- New GTA V Scans From Famitsu
- "The last two issues of Famitsu brought with it a preview of Grand Theft Auto V" News sourced from: N4G.com
- GTA V: A Timeline Of Events From 2009 Onwards
- CGUK: "Before GTA:V was a game, it was a project, and before it was a project it was an idea. Sadly, there is no information regarding the latter, but from 2009 and onwards, details were drip-fed to salivating fans regarding the game's content, progress and release date. Such ideas were leaked ever since the game was in its early stages in 2009, and since then, GTA:V enthusiasts have been on an epic 4-year pursuit of happiness with one goal in mind: playing GTA:V. So, sit back, grab yourself a refreshment and prepare to recite 4 years of GTA:V's development history. If you're ready, the let'.. News sourced from: N4G.com
- Mercedes Benz CLK-GTR for rFactor 2 - Released
- Team GMT has released a rFactor 2 conversion of their Mercedes Benz CLK-GTR that was originally created for GTR2. News sourced from: VirtualR.net
- Reiza Studios - First Historic Interlagos Preview
- Reiza Studios have posted up a very interesting new preview on Facebook, showing what looks like a historical version of the Brazilian Interlagos track. News sourced from: VirtualR.net
- Assetto Corsa - BMW M3 E30 Cockpit Previews
- Kunos Simulazioni has released new cockpit previews of the BMW M3 E30 for Assetto Corsa. News sourced from: VirtualR.net
- Popularity of NASCAR's 'Ten-Time' still runs strong
- Hendrick Motorsports already has a driver nicknamed "Five-Time" in Jimmie Johnson, and another known as "Four-Time" in Jeff Gordon. After Thursday, though, Dale Earnhardt Jr. figures he might have both those multiple-time Sprint Cup champions beat.
- Emotional award caps Gordon's 'awkward' week
- Tears during Champions Week are nothing new for Jeff Gordon.
- Penske prepares for first big night in long career
- Even with all of Roger Penske's racing accolades and achievements -- his legendary status as a team owner, the Hall of Fame honors, the Daytona 500 victory and 15 Indianapolis 500 wins -- he insists it was a simple gesture in a single moment last week that brought it all home for him.
- Notes: Mandel spices up NASCAR interviews
- Comedian Howie Mandel brought his act to Las Vegas a day early -- and incognito.
- 2012 champion earns his hardware
- LAS VEGAS -- Calling himself a "lottery winner" NASCAR's newest Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski accepted his championship ring and $5 million paycheck then promised to post a photo of himself on Twitter celebrating later with a large, cold Miller Lite beer.
- Allmendinger seems a good fit for Phoenix Racing
- AJ Allmendinger might not be the perfect match for every team.
- Recent turn of events land Smith in Chase-quality car
- CONCORD, N.C. -- Regan Smith says he doesn't feel any additional pressure in taking over behind the wheel of Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s No. 88 Chevrolet.
- Biffle wins Charlotte pole with record-breaking lap
- Greg Biffle was cackling with laughter when he crossed the finish line Thursday night at Charlotte Motor Speedway, and it wasn't just because he set a track record in qualifying for Sunday's Bank of America 500.
- Gordon, others walk a fine line after hard hits
- Jimmie Johnson remembers, vaguely, how he felt the day after taking a hard hit in a Nationwide Series car when his brakes failed and he plowed into a wall during a race at Watkins Glen International.
- Weekend Preview: Revitalized Gordon aims to continue climb
- The last time Jeff Gordon headed to Charlotte Motor Speedway, his deficit in the Sprint Cup Series points manifested itself in a strikingly tangible form.
- Keselowski proud to carry on No. 2 tradition
- Brad Keselowski remembers racing against Rusty Wallace -- he was 9 years old and it was in a video game.
- Section of I-85 dedicated in honor of Gordon
- A 1.6-mile section of I-85 from the city of Charlotte corporate limits to the Cabarrus County line was dedicated Friday as the Jeff Gordon Expressway.